Uncertainty is unavoidable. As a Person rather than as Leader or manager, you need to be prepared to lead yourself and your team through murky waters, but doing so requires getting in the right mindset yourself. Here are few pointer to help one be conscious of situation and not only go through the uncertainty but shift the perspective and become resilient and grow through these uncertain times :
1. Embrace the discomfort of not knowing. Move from a know-it-all to a learn-it-all mindset. You don’t need to have all the answers. However keep the curiosity mind alive and learn as you go through this uncertain times.
2. Distinguish between "complicated" and "complex" issues. They require different solutions. If a problem is complex, it means that it has many components. Complexity does not evoke difficulty. On the other hand, complicated refers to a high level of difficulty. If a problem is complicated, there might be or might not be many parts but it will certainly take a lot of hard work to solve
3. Let go of perfectionism. Instead, aim for progress, expect mistakes, and recognize that you have the ability to continually course correct as needed. Many a times last ten percent of perfection requires eighty percent of time and one may loose many important things to attend in that time hence let it be eighty to ninety percent perfect and focus on moving forward with progress.
4. Resist the urge to oversimplify and come to quick conclusions. Take a disciplined approach to understanding both the complexity of the situation and your own biases. Many a times we assume the topic to be very simple and move forward without due weight-age, we must understand it well without personal biases.
5. Don’t go it alone. Connect with your friends if its a personal topic and peers in case of work, who have their own set of experiences and perspectives to draw from. Uncertain time requires more collaborative approach and critical group thinking on many complex and critical topics hence involve related expert and make it inclusive.
Zoom out.Taking a broad, systemic view of the issues at hand can reveal unexamined assumptions that would otherwise be invisible. Have some external views and look the thinks from both inside as well outside view.Get in to depth understand each thread of it well before reaching to any solution.
(Inspired by HBR daily)